Our Warren, MI, Dentist Walks You Through the Invisalign® Process
Invisalign® has become increasingly popular among patients seeking a more discreet, comfortable method of straightening their teeth. It’s an excellent alternative to traditional braces, and treatment is often quicker. Our Warren, MI, dentist, Dr. Sahel Behbood, wants you to understand how the Invisalign process works and how it will help you achieve the straight smile you deserve. Contact Warren Family Dentistry today to learn about Invisalign and schedule your consultation.
The Benefits of The Invisalign Process
Dr. Behbood offers Invisalign to our dental patients in Warren because the process is easier than other orthodontic treatment options, including metal braces. Some of the advantages of Invisalign braces include:
- Clear, Removable Aligners: Invisalign uses clear, customized plastic aligners that are far less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Aligners are removable for eating, brushing, and flossing.
- More Comfortable: The smooth plastic used for Invisalign is gentler on the teeth and gums compared to traditional braces. There are no metal brackets or wires to cause irritation.
- Effective For Many Cases: Invisalign doesn’t just create straighter teeth. These aligners can treat simple to complex cases, including fixing spacing, crowding, underbites, overbites, and more.
- Less Time in Treatment: The average Invisalign treatment can straighten teeth in 12 to 18 months, faster than the average traditional braces time of 24 months. Some mild cases can be resolved in just six to nine months.
- Fewer Food Restrictions: You simply remove Invisalign while eating so you can enjoy nearly any food. With braces, many sticky and hard foods have to be avoided.
- Improved Oral Hygiene: Brushing and flossing is easier without fixed braces. You can maintain better hygiene with Invisalign.
- More Discreet: Many people prefer aligners because they’re not noticeable, unlike metal braces. There is no metalwork that stands out.
- Advanced 3D Modeling: Your clear aligners are mapped out using precise 3D imaging technology for predictable results.
- Teen-Friendly Option: Invisalign offers a popular alternative to traditional braces for teens and adolescents.
Your Initial Invisalign Consultation
The first step in the Invisalign process is an initial consultation with our Warren Invisalign provider. During this appointment, she’ll examine your teeth, bite, and jaws to determine whether Invisalign is a suitable treatment option for your case and oral health goals.
We’ll then take digital impressions of your teeth using a 3D scanner to create a virtual model of your mouth. This technology eliminates the need for messy, bad-tasting, uncomfortable dental impressions. The 3D model of your mouth will help Dr. Behbood create a customized Invisalign treatment plan that addresses your unique dental needs.
Creating and Molding Your Custom Invisalign Clear Aligners
Once we’ve determined that Invisalign is right for you, we’ll create your custom treatment plan. This Invisalign treatment plan will include a series of clear plastic aligner trays that gradually shift your teeth into the desired position.
To create the Invisalign aligners, the 3D model of your mouth is used to ensure the trays are crafted specifically for you. The trays are a comfortable, BPA-free plastic material that’s easy to clean and maintain. After designing the aligners, we’ll send the specifications to the Invisalign laboratory. The lab will then manufacture them and send the Invisalign treatment back to our dental office for you to pick up.
First Invisalign Fitting
Your first Invisalign fitting appointment will be scheduled once your first set of aligners are ready. During this appointment, our Warren dentist will give you your first set of clear aligners and show you how to wear and care for them properly. If the fitting is off, we’ll make all necessary adjustments.
Wearing Your Invisalign Trays
Wearing your Invisalign trays is easy, but you’ll need to follow the instructions provided by Dr. Behbood to ensure that the treatment process is as effective as possible. You’ll need to wear your new aligners for 20 to 22 hours each day, only removing them to eat, drink, brush your teeth, and floss. Clean your trays daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild soap or a recommended cleaning solution.
Every two weeks, you’ll switch to a new set of aligners, which will continue to gradually shift your teeth into their desired position. Our Warren dentist will monitor your progress throughout your treatment to ensure everything goes smoothly.
Throughout the Invisalign treatment process, you’ll have follow-up appointments. These appointments are necessary to ensure that your customized treatment plan is progressing as planned. During your follow-up appointments, our dentist will check the progress of your teeth and make any necessary adjustments to your custom aligner trays.
Post-Invisalign Treatment Retainers
After 12 to 18 months, your treatment will be complete. Once your teeth have reached their final aligned position, you’ll receive customized retainers to wear to keep your teeth stable. You’ll need to wear retainers full-time for the first few months, then nightly indefinitely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most patients experience some discomfort or pressure when they first start wearing Invisalign trays. This discomfort is typically mild and goes away within a few days. As you switch to new Invisalign aligners, you may experience some pressure or soreness, but this is normal and is a sign that the treatment is working.
Invisalign aligners are a great option for many patients but may not be suitable for everyone. Your Invisalign provider will evaluate your orthodontic needs during your initial consultation and determine if Invisalign is the best option for your specific case.
Invisalign has made significant advancements and can treat a wide range of orthodontic issues, including moderate overcrowding and misalignment. Severe cases may still require traditional braces or another orthodontic treatment option.
Unlock Your Perfect Smile
Don’t let the fear of traditional metal braces hold you back from achieving the smile of your dreams. With Invisalign, you can straighten your teeth discreetly and comfortably. If you’re ready to take the first step towards a confident, healthy smile, call us today at (586) 574-9500 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Behbood and begin the Invisalign process.
Our team is dedicated to helping you achieve straighter teeth, and we can’t wait to help you transform your smile with Invisalign in Warren and the Detroit metro area, including Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Hamtramck, MI.