Save Your Natural Tooth
An oral infection can be unbearably painful. Without treatment, you risk losing your natural tooth. Fortunately, Dr. Behbood at Warren Family Dentistry provides root canal therapy to rid you of your tooth infection and relieve you of the pain you’re experiencing. With gentle techniques and natural-looking restorations, we’re able to safely remove the infection and restore the health of your tooth.
Read on below to find out how root canal therapy can benefit your oral health.
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy is a restorative treatment used to resolve an infection that’s progressed to the center of the tooth. These infections occur when a cavity, or tooth decay, goes untreated for an extended period.
Your tooth is made up of three layers:
- Enamel: This is the hard, outer layer of the tooth that protects it from damage and infections.
- Dentin: This is the second layer of the tooth that becomes vulnerable when the enamel is breached by decay.
- Pulp: The pulp chamber, also known as the root canal, is the central layer of the tooth where oral infections take hold. It’s home to sensitive nerves and blood vessels.
With root canal therapy, Dr. Behbood can remove the infected tissue of the tooth to restore its health and save it from extraction.
How Root Canal Infection Occurs
There are a variety of ways your tooth can become vulnerable to infection, including:
- Multiple dental procedures on the same tooth
- Deep decay due to an untreated cavity
- Cracks or chips in the tooth
- Injury to the tooth
Signs of an Oral Infection
There are multiple symptoms that a patient may experience when suffering from an oral infection. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you may need root canal therapy:
- Severe tooth pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Difficulty chewing
- Swollen and/or tender gums
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Bad breath, pus, or abscess
If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, call our Warren, MI office as soon as possible to schedule an appointment with Dr. Behbood.
Root Canal Therapy Steps
At Warren Family Dentistry, Dr. Behbood can typically complete your root canal therapy in one appointment. Before your procedure, we’ll administer a local anesthetic to ensure a pain-free treatment.
Dr. Behbood will complete the root canal therapy process in the following steps:
- Once the surgical site is numb, we’ll start by drilling a small hole into the crown of your affected tooth.
- Dr. Behbood will remove the infected pulp and sterilize the root canals.
- We’ll replace the pulp with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha to keep the tooth solid and prevent reinfection.
- We’ll place a temporary filling on the crown to protect your tooth until your permanent restoration is ready.
- When your permanent restoration is ready, you’ll return to our Warren, MI office for the placement of your personalized crown.
Root Canal Therapy Aftercare
Following treatment, you can expect some soreness of the tooth and gums once your local anesthetic wears off. It’s normal to also experience some swelling of the gums. To relieve any discomfort, we recommend taking over-the-counter pain medications. You can resume your normal activities one day after your procedure.
After a few days, you’ll have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Behbood to ensure the infection is gone. If you experience severe pain or discomfort after your procedure, please call our Warren dental office right away at (586) 574-9500.
Frequently Asked Questions
Contrary to popular belief, modern root canal treatments are relatively painless. Dentists use a local anesthetic to numb the area, ensuring you stay comfortable throughout the entire procedure.
In general, a single appointment can take about one to two hours, while more complex cases may require multiple visits. The duration of a root canal treatment depends on factors such as the tooth’s complexity and the extent of infection.
The primary alternative to a root canal is tooth extraction. However, extracting a tooth should only be considered if there are no other viable options, as losing a natural tooth can lead to other dental problems.
Root canals are a standard dental procedure with a high success rate. However, like any medical procedure, there can be risks of infection, complications, or unsuccessful treatment. Consulting an experienced dentist or endodontist minimizes these risks.
Achieve Superior Oral Health at Warren Family Dentistry
We don’t want our patients to suffer from an oral infection. With root canal therapy, we can remove your infection, restore your oral health, and save your tooth from extraction. If you’re experiencing severe tooth pain, call our Warren dental office at (586) 574-9500 to schedule an appointment. You can also request more information by filling out our online contact form.