Save Your Natural Tooth
An oral infection can be unbearably painful. Without treatment, you risk losing your natural tooth. Fortunately, Dr. Chirco at Warren Family Dentistry provides root canal therapy to rid you of your tooth infection and relieve you of the pain you’re experiencing. With gentle techniques and natural-looking restorations, we’re able to safely remove the infection and restore the health of your tooth.
Read on below to find out how root canal therapy can benefit your oral health.
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy is a restorative treatment used to resolve an infection that’s progressed to the center of the tooth. These infections occur when a cavity, or tooth decay, goes untreated for an extended period.
Your tooth is made up of three layers:
- Enamel: This is the hard, outer layer of the tooth that protects it from damage and infections.
- Dentin: This is the second layer of the tooth that becomes vulnerable when the enamel is breached by decay.
- Pulp: The pulp chamber, also known as the root canal, is the central layer of the tooth where oral infections take hold. It’s home to sensitive nerves and blood vessels.
With root canal therapy, Dr. Chirco can remove the infected tissue of the tooth to restore its health and save it from extraction.
How Root Canal Infection Occurs
There are a variety of ways your tooth can become vulnerable to infection, including:
- Multiple dental procedures on the same tooth
- Deep decay due to an untreated cavity
- Cracks or chips in the tooth
- Injury to the tooth
Signs of an Oral Infection
There are multiple symptoms that a patient may experience when suffering from an oral infection. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you may need root canal therapy:
- Severe tooth pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Difficulty chewing
- Swollen and/or tender gums
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Bad breath, pus, or abscess
If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, call our Warren, MI office as soon as possible to schedule an appointment with Dr. Chirco.
Root Canal Therapy Steps
At Warren Family Dentistry, Dr. Chirco can typically complete your root canal therapy in one appointment. Before your procedure, we’ll administer a local anesthetic to ensure a pain-free treatment.
Dr. Chirco will complete the root canal therapy process in the following steps:
- Once the surgical site is numb, we’ll start by drilling a small hole into the crown of your affected tooth.
- Dr. Chirco will remove the infected pulp and sterilize the root canals.
- We’ll replace the pulp with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha to keep the tooth solid and prevent reinfection.
- We’ll place a temporary filling on the crown to protect your tooth until your permanent restoration is ready.
- When your permanent restoration is ready, you’ll return to our Warren, MI office for the placement of your personalized crown.
Root Canal Therapy Aftercare
Following root canal therapy, you can expect some soreness of the tooth and gums once your local anesthetic wears off. It’s normal to also experience some swelling of the gums. To relieve any discomfort, we recommend taking over-the-counter pain medications. You can resume your normal activities one day after your procedure.
After a few days, you’ll have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Chirco to ensure the infection is gone. If you experience severe pain or discomfort after your procedure, please call our Warren dental office right away at (586) 574-9500.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of your root canal treatment will depend on the severity of your infection as well as your insurance coverage. We recommend reaching out to your insurance provider to get a more detailed explanation of your coverage. For your convenience, we offer several financing options to ensure all patients get the timely dental care they need. If you have any questions about root canal therapy and its costs, call our Warren, MI office at (586) 574-9500.
No, receiving root canal therapy is virtually painless. Dr. Chirco will apply a local anesthetic before your root canal procedure to ensure you remain comfortable and pain-free. If you’re feeling anxious about your root canal treatment, Dr. Chirco will be happy to discuss your options for feeling more comfortable. Just give us a call at (586) 574-9500 and we’ll gladly work with you.
In most cases, root canal therapy takes about 90 minutes per tooth. Depending on the severity of your infection, we can typically complete root canal treatment in just one appointment at our Warren dental office.
Treatment times do vary per patient. Certain factors that can influence how long root canal therapy takes include the state of your oral health and the number of teeth that need treatment. At your initial consultation, Dr. Chirco will always provide a breakdown of your treatment and a projected timeline.
It’s rare to experience complications after root canal therapy, but it can happen. If your treated tooth becomes fractured, broken, or reinfected, contact Warren Family Dentistry immediately to seek treatment. Call our office at (586) 574-9500 and we’ll get you in as soon as possible. Dr. Chirco will assess the damage and determine the best solution to get your oral health back on track.
Achieve Superior Oral Health at Warren Family Dentistry
We don’t want our patients to suffer from an oral infection. With root canal therapy, we can remove your infection, restore your oral health, and save your tooth from extraction. If you’re experiencing severe tooth pain, call our Warren dental office at (586) 574-9500 to schedule an appointment. You can also request more information by filling out our online contact form.