Dental Crowns in Warren
What is a Porcelain Crown?
A porcelain crown, also referred to as a cap, is a tooth-colored, protective piece that is placed over a damaged tooth to restore its appearance and function. There are a variety of reasons why a person might need a dental crown, and our team will make sure we find a solution that best meets your needs.
Undergoing treatment with porcelain crowns will help restore your tooth’s function while boosting your confidence. We will create a custom treatment plan during your consultation so you can feel confident in choosing Warren Family Dentistry. Learn more about our process below.
Who Will Benefit From Crowns
As mentioned, a dental crown is typically needed to protect and restore a tooth that’s been previously damaged. A good candidate for a dental crown is someone who needs to:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking or decay
- Restore a broken, chipped, or cracked tooth
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of a tooth left
- Hold a dental bridge in place or cover a dental implant
- Improve the shape or color of a tooth
How the Procedure Works
After your consultation, we’ll schedule a time for you to return to begin your treatment process. Here’s what you can expect with your crowns procedure:
- First, we’ll have to reshape your tooth that is receiving treatment so the crown can fit precisely over it. This won’t hurt at all because we will apply a local anesthetic to numb the area.
- Once we’ve smoothed down your tooth, our team will take impressions of the tooth so a crown can be designed to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth.
- Since your dental crown is individually created at a dental lab, there’s usually a two week period between preparing your tooth and placing your crown. So, before you leave your first appointment, we’ll place a temporary crown to protect your tooth until the permanent one is finished.
- After about two weeks, you’ll return to our Warren office and we’ll ensure that your new crown looks and fits perfectly over your tooth. If both you and Dr. Moureiden are happy with the results of the crown, we’ll safely secure it over your tooth and you’ll be able to leave with a beautiful new smile.